[PLUG] How to remove module when device is busy?

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Thu Dec 19 21:08:03 UTC 2002

Tyler,

For the ne2000 module, you will need to bring down your ethernet device
first:

   ifconfig eth0 down
   rmmod ne2000

For the rest, try using the -r switch to remove the stack the module
might be in. The sb16.o module, for example relies on at least two other
modules that are loaded in the stack.

If that doesn't work, try to figure out the module stack manually and
work your way down. You can do this by looking at the depmod (module
dependancy) information in /lib/modules/[kernel_version]/modules.dep.
Work your way from the top down.

It may be, as is likely the case with the ne2000 module, that the module
is in use. This will make removing the module impossible.

You can, however, prevent the module from loading at the next boot by
editing the appropriate lines in /etc/modules.conf and/or
/etc/modules.autoload.

-Cooper