[PLUG] OT: SSL Certs for Web Sites

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Fri Dec 20 12:12:03 UTC 2002

I believe you're not going to find a really cheap SSL cert that's
recognized by all browsers - I went looking a few months ago and the
cheapest I found was around $150/year; I'll see if I can find my notes
if you're interested.  Overall I think an extra $100/year isn't
unreasonable to pay so customers don't get scary looking dialog boxes
popping up.  If it's just for internal use, or with groups that can
handle an explanation of what the scary dialog box is, you can generate
your own one for free, you don't get a 3rd 'neutral' party that will
confirm that you are who you say you are, but you will get SSL
encryption.

--Brent