[PLUG] Athlon performance

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Sat Dec 21 11:25:05 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 02:08, Bill Spears wrote:
> According to RH up2date, a kernel rpm built for the athlon (this machine
> is actually a Duron) is available. Will I get much of a performance gain
> by installing it and are there any gotchas I should know about?

Yes you'll get a little boost in performance - but the kernel is really
only one small part of performance... optimizing the big apps on the
system causes a greater increase in speed.

Gotchas:

RH Compiled the kernel likely with a bajillion wierd patches.  I like
compiling my own kernel - I know exactly what is in it, what is enabled,
and nothing I don't want is there, eating up a few KB of RAM.

The kernel would likely be compiled with GCC 3.x in order to get any
real Athlon optimizations.  I haven't had any problems with GCC 3.2
compiling kernels... but some have.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.