[PLUG] Linux Ethernet Status, Diagnostic, and Setup Utilities

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Sat Dec 21 19:30:05 UTC 2002

All,

Some of you remember the days when we could set the Ethernet device's
EEPROM flags with a DOS-based utility. Well, here's a collection of
Ethernet device utilities for Linux:

  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html#mii-diag

I greatly improved network transfer speed on the internal subnet hosts
by using the mii-diag utility to set the devices to full-duplex. A side
benefit of this is that my NFS clients are more responsive during heavy
load as they are not working so hard on the Ethernet transfer.

Note that mii-diag worked on both the Tulip and the RealTek without
modification. Several other models are supported.

-Cooper