[PLUG] Getting MySQL running

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Sun Dec 22 16:34:03 UTC 2002

I reloaded RH 7.0 on my 200 MHz Pentium machine, and am attempting to
remember how I got MySQL running. I'm following directions from a couple
of books that tell me to run the following:

mysql_install_db
safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

The first command seems to have worked; at least there weren't any error
messages. The second command starts, and then stops. Here's what I get:

--------------------------
[root at nec bin]# safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 26422
[root at nec bin]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/var/lib/mysql
021222 16:26:11  mysqld ended

>From this I conclude that mysqld is not running, and indeed, I do not
find it in a ps ax list.

I assume that I've left out something important. Any assistance will be
greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens