[PLUG] Playing an avi file? (Trying to RTFM)

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Sun Dec 22 22:24:03 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 21:33, guy1656 wrote:

> I am running KDE 2.2.1 in Mandrake 8.1.
> I have XMMS installed, and want to play AVIs.

I use XINE and MPLAYER myself... ogle or vls for DVDs.

XINE was a very easy compile, IIRC.

> I don't want to use MPlayer, because the MPlayer page mentions some kind of
> security vulnerability ( I got fried here the last I brought this up, but the
> jyst is that the vocabulary which describes said vulnerability is WAY over my
> head.) Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to look for other
> alternatives to Mplayer, especially ones WITHOUT mention of security
> vulnerabilities, 'known bugs' or hellaciously complex installs.

Well, MPlayer is also not the easiest sucker to use from a UI point of
view.

'tis why I like xine.

But, to find some complex piece of software with no known bugs or
security vulnerabilities may well be impossible.  As for complex
installs... ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install usually
does the trick for me.  Xine, at the very least, had good documentation
on how to get it compiled (I think).  :-)

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.