[PLUG] SSH Question

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Mon Dec 23 20:48:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 12:53, robbert at vafam.com wrote:
> I'm trying to run a full ssh gnome session from my local machine.  I'm able to ssh in using the command ssh-agent gnome-session 192.168.1.150.  After logging in, I get an error, something to the affect "You are already running gnome on 192.168.1.101:0."  The question I have is how do I run this remote gnome session on 192.168.1.101:1?  I was able to do it locally, running two gnome sessions, one under F7 and one under F8 (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology, just that I get to my gnome session by pressing F7 and get to other screens by using the other function keys).  I do no know what I need to add to the gnome-agent command parameters to get the remote gnome session to start under F8.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yep.

I'm assuming you're using some sort of key system for ssh authentication
that doesn't require you to intervene at all.

Well, either way, this'll work.

Start your SSH session in an xterm in Display :1.

When you start that second X session which will be running things on the
other machine, use a special .xinitrc that either ssh's in to the other
system like so:

ssh -X -C 192.168.1.150 /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

(assuming there you have passphrase-less key authentication set up)

or starts an xterm from where you can run ssh yourself (and be there to
type in your passphrase).

I hope you're getting what I'm saying - if you want to run gnome in the
second X server, run SSH from a terminal on that second server.

Then all will work well.

I, personally, use TightVNC for remote access of systems... it's
definitely a bit quicker than actual X over lower-end connections
(10BaseT and down) but for faster connections (100Mbps type stuff) I
find running X apps over an ssh tunnel is faster.  YMMV.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.