[PLUG] OT: comparative noise levels

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Tue Dec 24 10:51:03 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 24 December 2002 10:28, David Fleck wrote:
> I'm building a new desktop machine soon. I pretty much know what
> components I want in it.  One thing that concerns me, though, is noise
> levels - I'd like the machine to be as quiet as possible.  (I've just
> finished fixing up a Sparcstation2 with OpenBSD 3.2, and while it looks
> spiffy holding up my monitor, it is LOUD!)
>
> So- any recommendations for quiet fans / power supplies / drives (or ways
> to muffle existing ones - I'd like to be able to leave the Sparc turned on
> without getting evil looks from the spouse).

Be sure to check out http://www.hardwareguys.com/, in addition to the many
suggestions you're going to get for quiet components.  Inferior power
supplies are one of the biggest sources of trouble in a system. PC Power &
Cooling makes great power supplies, and they have quiet models. CPU fans are
the other main source of noise. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/scan/fi
http://fredrik.hubbe.net/silence/cpu.html

I wish for a separate drive bay module, that can be parked any where
convenient, and the main box stuffed away in a cabinet.

--
Carla Schroder