[PLUG] Command-line instant messaging client

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Sat Dec 28 12:58:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 15:08, Paul wrote:
> I would like to have my mail server send me an instant message when I get mail. I don't really care which system (Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, etc). Are there any command-line driven clients out there? How about text based client that could run as a daemon and accept command-line calls to send a message?

You could install a .procmailrc file that split off a copy of each
message, looked at it to grab information from it and see if it's
important enough, then called a Perl program to send the IM.  There are
Perl modules for doing that.

Jabberd is running on jabber.pdxlinux.org.  You can use that if you
don't expect to send HUGE numbers of IM's through it, otherwise, you
should run one on your mail server.