[PLUG] Traceroute doesn't work

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Dec 29 13:20:05 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Robbert" == Robbert van Andel <robbert at vafam.com> writes:

Robbert> I am having issues running traceroute on my RedHat 7.3
Robbert> machine.  When I'm logged in as root, I try to do a
Robbert> traceroute to a website like yahoo.com or vafamsound.com (my
Robbert> webserver) and am not getting anything but time outs on each
Robbert> hop.  when I traceroute to my linksys router, I get one hop
Robbert> (obviously) that shows a good traceroute result.  Why does
Robbert> this tool not work?  (I can use tracert on Windows and get to
Robbert> these two sites with no problem).

There are multiple ways that a traceroute can work.  Some traceroutes
use ICMP packets while others use UDP packets.  Sometimes ICMP packets
are administratively filtered.  If you want to check a particular TCP
port, you can use tcptraceroute, as in:

  $ tcptraceroute yahoo.com 80

Sometimes a regular ping or traceroute will appear to show a site is
unreachable, but that is because some router in between is dropping
ICMP.  The tcptraceroute utility can help in those cases.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more