[PLUG] mondo backup/recovery

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at dOink.COM
Sun Dec 29 14:12:03 UTC 2002

I've been trying to get mondo <http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo>
to work on Mandrake.  I'm on the mondo mailing list and I've
been getting help there for 2-3 months.  They clued me in to the
fact that I can't use gcc-2.95.3 to compile mondo.  Then they
suspected that my hardware was bad on my MDK 8.0 machine.  So, I
tried mondo with my spare computer and MDK 9.0 which didn't work.
Then they suspected that Mandrake must be bad (after insisting
that it works fine when they pointed to my "bad" hardware).  So,
I installed Redhat 8.0 and mondo works, meaning that it can
do the backup, write the boot floppies, and do a bare metal
recovery.  Then they suspected that glibc in Mandrake is bad.
Mandrake 8.0 uses glibc 2.2.2.  Mandrake 9.0 uses 2.2.5.  Redhat
uses 2.2.93.  So, I loaded glibc 2.3.1 on my Mandrake 9.0 system
and compiled mondo against that.  Still the bare metal restore
doesn't work.

FWIW, the mondo email list folks insist that backup/recovery
works just fine on a Mandrake 8.2 or 9.0 system when the
backup/recovery is done to/from CDROM or NFS.  I haven't tried
that, at least not yet.

Now to my question, what could be different about Redhat 8.0
and Mandrake 9.0 that would keep my SCSI tape based bare metal
restore from working on exactly the same machine?  Should I
recompile the kernel with the new glibc?

I'm at a loss here, and the mondo email list has just about given
up on me, insisting that my system must just be so oddball that
it's not worth getting it working.

Thanks for any hints.....