[PLUG] Vim/Xterm

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 16:14:03 UTC 2002

I recently commented on doing 8-bit text editing
(Cyrillic, in this case) in a Linux environment, and
have it mostly figured out. A couple of issues remain.

The award-winning Vim text editor does not display
such characters when it is started up by clicking on
the icon, but there are other ways. You can bring up a
terminal window, then bring up a second terminal
window in the desired font with the command

xterm -fn "-cronyx-courier-medium-    etc.

In this second terminal window, the command

vim filename

will open filename and display foreign characters
properly. (Printing? I use enscript for that.)

Anyhow, if you do something like this pretty often, it
might be a good idea to bring default settings closer
to the task. I am aware that .vimrc is used to set
user defaults for Vim, and it would be nice to set the
font there. But I'm having trouble finding a good
reference for .vimrc, although there are lots of
examples of other people's .vimrc's available.

Instead of, or in addition, to that, it might be nice
to change the xterm default font "permanently." Am I
on the right track? There is a configuration file of
some kind, /etc/X11/app-defaults/Xterm

This contains a stanza of the following kind:

*fontMenu*font4*Label:  Medium
!*VT100*font4:    7x13
*VT100*font4:     7x13euro

Is this the stuff that needs to be changed? Or is it
somewhere else? You can't do much without a terminal,
so I want to do it right.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."