[PLUG] New Online Material

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Tue Dec 31 14:51:28 UTC 2002

Jim,

> Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged"

Others can answer this better than I. After having studied this in the
past, the impression I took away was that it's basically a harmless
warning message that may be safely ignored.

[snip]

> If I use a vurtual console I'd press
> Ctrl-Alt-F*.  Why would I want to use this and how would I get back to
> my xwindows?

To get back to X-Windows, press Ctrl+Alt+F7 simultaneously (the seventh
virtual terminal-by convention-is the first X windows display).

You may wish to do this if you want to kill an X-Windows full screen
application that is not behaving. You may also press Ctrl-C at the first
virtual terminal to safely close X-Windows itself.

So if X gives you trouble, there's generally no need to reboot.

Also, if you administrate several machines and actually _like_ the
terminal displays, you can use it. I, for example, prefer the terminal
over X-Windows' X-terms when I am in heavy admin mode.

Other than that there's really no other reason to use the virtual
terminals, it's just handy to know they're there.

-Cooper