[PLUG] tcpa (sorry if this is just old news)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Jul 1 23:10:43 UTC 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   The absolutely disgusting aspect about this is the basic premise
> that computers are used only as replacements for TV/VCRs and stereo
> systems. This does not acknowlege that computers are used for database
> applications, word processing, finance and accounting, scientific
> computations or anything else.

Take a step back and generalize the functionality.  Don't think about
particular applications here, just general functions.

If I may be so presumptuous, allow me to restate your sentences above in
terms of general functionality:

"The absolutely disgusting aspect about this is the basic premise that
computers are used only to display and copy information.  This does not
acknowledge that computers are used for recording and manipulating
information."

Personally, I think they (the capitalists pushing for these regulations
and technological limitations) recognize those facts better than you
perceive.  The whole purpose of these limitations is to keep control of
the means of production in the hands of the few.

Our technology is outstepping our society.  We're reaching our goals
faster than the people want to accept the rewards.  The entire purpose of
science and technology and the original intent of capitalism is to provide
abundance and improve the human condition.  Control of the means of
production in every person's hands (and, therefore, to use the modern
parlance, empowering individuals) is fairly universally recognized as an
important step in improving conditions for all people.

These people and systems (because systems are a kind of living thing with
a sense of self-preservation) are working very hard to use their power
held over from the age of scarcity to prevent the coming of the age of
abundance.

>   Can you imagine Ford, Nike, Boeing, Nationwide Insurance and the
> Federal Emergency Management Agency agreeing on such hardware/software
> restrictions on their computers?

These organizations will receive special dispensation from the regulations
by way of their massive accumulated wealth and power.

>   The greed and narrow focus on a segment of personal, end-user use of
> computers as a means to greater profit in a saturated market is
> disheartening. I suspect that this will not fly too far before it
> crashes in flames.

Personally, I don't think we're turning this particular bus around until
we cancel the line or shut down the freeway (if that metaphor is at all
distinguishable from gibberish).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin