[PLUG] lilo: fails to open

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Jul 2 16:59:47 UTC 2002

Hi Bill,

When I set up a triple boot, one winders and two debians, I had a
separate lilo.conf for the second debian partition.  The master boot had
an extra other=/dev/hda4 to kick in the lilo loaded on the second debian
partition.  So I only had one image specified in the master boot record,
and 2 entries for "other=".  I think this will work best, because you
need to be able to modify the boot record for the second linux partition
independent of the boot record for the first linux partition (like when
you compile a new kernel).

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 07:57, Bill Spears wrote:
> I'm trying to multiboot dos, rh7.2 and debian.  I'm working in rh and trying
> to modify a working lilo.conf to include  the debian partion, which I did by
> copying the rh7.2 stanza and changing the root part. When I run lilo it fails
> to open the debian image file.  Here's my lilo.conf:
>
> prompt
> timeout=50
> default=linux-redhat
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
>         label=linux-redhat
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hda2
>         append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>         label=linux-debian
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hda4
>         append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>         optional
>         label=DOS
> The error msg is: Fatal: open /vminuz: No such file or directory. I can mount
> hda4 under rh so I know the file is there.

HTH

Derek Loree