[PLUG] killing a "down" process

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Jul 2 23:31:35 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 15:23, Brent Rieck wrote:
> > There is no kill-ev on my system.  What are OAF processes (there is no
> > man page for oaf-slay)?
>
> oops, I should've typed "killev" rather than "kill-ev" - sorry about
> that!

Thanks, my system does have a killev, and running killev --help just
killed evolution, completely!  I'll try it next time evolution crashes.

I'm a little wary of the oaf-slay, because it doesn't take any arguments
that would narrow down the things that I might want to kill, what if
another application uses OAF that I don't want to kill?

> I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered from lurking on the evolution
> mailing list OAF stands for "Object Application Framework" and is the
> replacement for Gnome's CORBA implementation for Gnome 2.0.  I believe
> the components of Evolution (calendar, mailer, addressbook, etc)
> communicate using OAF.
>
> no man pages exist for either killev or oaf-slay, but both are perl
> scripts that you can peek into (at least they are on my system) if
> you're curious as to what they do.

I appreciate the information, very much.

Derek