[PLUG] Swap Partition Size and Resizing

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jul 4 04:47:37 UTC 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> Funny thing happened when I upgraded a laptop w/256MbRAM from RH7.0 to 7.3.
>   The installer _really_ wanted to created a swap file--I already had
> a swap partition.  I had to let it, but have never heard of that.  If
> I had the machine handy, I could check, but believe it created a mondo
> file ala windows.  What's up with that?

Weird.  Never heard of it.

I stopped using a swap partition on my desktop machine and I can't say
I've looked back.

I started plotting out the values yielded by running `free -M` and found
that the cached value was always more than the Swap: used value.  I
figured the extra disk I/O for reading data currently cached would be less
than the current disk I/O for accessing a swap partition.

My drive is quiet almost all the time and things run pretty snappily.

Keep in mind, of course, that this machine has 1GB RAM.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net