[PLUG] removing old RH up2date kernel versions

Aaron Baer judah at opusnet.com
Fri Jul 5 17:28:24 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 01:13, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> >I'm sure this is because when Red Hat does it's kernel upgrades via
> >up2date they don't remove the previously installed kernel by default. So
> >in effect you could have multiple kernels installed filling up /boot if
> >you have it as an independent partition.
> >
> >A-
>
> On that note- How the heck does somebody do this? I've got a couple of old
> kernels in my /boot dir, but I have been afraid to remove them. I've hacked lilo
> to make it boot the new kernel by default, but that's as comfortable I've been so
> far.
>
> Mike

rpm -q kernel  or  rpm -qa | grep kernel
to see what kernel versions you have installed.

rpm -e kernel-2.4.foo-bar
to remove any kernel versions you do not wish installed. I have yet to
have a system problem removing old Red Hat kernels once the new one is
installed. And typically the kernel source is replaced with the newest
version if you have the previous installed.

A-

--
----
Aaron Baer