[PLUG] USB and /dev/usb/lp0

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Jul 6 20:43:07 UTC 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Bill Spears wrote:

> On Saturday 06 July 2002 01:08 pm, you wrote:
> >
> > It's been a few months since I setup my USB printer (also under woody),
> > but one question comes to mind, is the USB printer driver (coincidentally
> > named "printer" :-) installed?
> >
> > Shannon C. Dealy      |               DeaTech Research Inc.
> > dealy at deatech.com     |          - Custom Software Development -
> >

> I installed using the web admin.  Shouldn't /dev/usb/lp0 be a device anyway?
> Is 'printer' an alias for a module?
> How do I check to see if it's installed?

"printer" is a module, so lsmod should tell you if it is installed.
/dev/usb/lp0 is a device file which (like all the devices under the /dev
directory) is simply an interface point between the device driver and the
file system to allow general access to the device as though it were a
file.  The fact that the device exists in the file system, does not mean
that the underlying driver which it provides access to is installed.