[PLUG] Printer Recommendations

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Sun Jul 7 02:58:21 UTC 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Kyle Accardi wrote:

> Don't laser printers gobble electrons?

Yeah, my old LJ IIp doesn't have a low-power mode like the newer
lasers do -- but I can usually batch up my print jobs so that usually
I just power up the printer, print my jobs, and turn the printer back
off again. Granted, it's not a procedure that'll work for everyone.

The problem with dot-matrix printers is that they can't be used to
print the pictures that often accompany e-mail these days :-)
Otherwise, other than the noise and their inherent slowness, they're
fine.

In fact, my first did-it-just-for-me computer program was some
downloadable fonts for my Seikosha 24-pin. This was back in 1987, when
softfonts were both rare and expensive. I was tired of hand-writing
Greek and Hebrew stuff into my term papers, so I wrote fonts I could
ship to the printer and access from within WordPerfect 4.x for DOS. My
wife's family thought I was crazy, spending my Christmas break
blocking out Greek and Hebrew letters on graph paper so I could figure
out the byte-maps the Seikosha could understand :-)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>