[PLUG] Printer Recommendations

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jul 7 04:27:54 UTC 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Mike De La Mater wrote:
>
> > Nothing's cheaper to operate than a laser. I've got mixed feelings
> > about the botom end HP, but they seem to work fine for some people.
> > There are lots of used older lasers out there, too. The Laseret II
> > and III were pretty useable, too.
>
> I've had my HP LaserJet IIIp for, oh, a decade now and have never,
> ever had any trouble with it. Toner's widely available and relatively
> inexpensive. Just make sure you bump up the printer's memory to its
> max (2 MB).

I think I have boasted about the rock-solid nature of my HP IIp+ at
least once here. I'll have owned it for 10 years this December, it's
burned thru about about 8 to 10 toner cartridges in it's life (two a
year for the first few years, gradually down to one lasting two years)
& is currently on it's second computer. (The self-test I just ran
reports it has printed 38,931 pages.) And I second Paul's advice
about adding as much memory as possible for one of these.

And it's worth the cost of fixing it. (Which has been only twice; the
first time after it had been running on a broken part for about 3 years.)
I only wish printers were built to last like this one was.

Geoff