[PLUG] ELF

AthlonRob AthlonRobNF at cs.com
Sun Jul 7 23:50:43 UTC 2002

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
"Paul Heinlein" <heinlein at attbi.com> wrote:

> 2. Do 'make xconfig' or, my favorite, 'make menuconfig,' taking care
>    to match (at least) the capabilities of the RH kernel. This isn't a
>    100% fool-proof method to define the kernel you'll need, but it's a
>    good start.
>
> 3. make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install;
>    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-<version>
>    cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version>
>    cp .config /boot/config-<version>

What about make dep and maybe make clean?

In slackware, just boot up, get some clean source (it's not always the best idea to use the stuff in /usr/src/linux ... best to leave that as-is) ... do a make mrproper to be sure it is clean, copy /boot/config to .config (gives you some nice defaults)... then adjust the config accordingly and follow your steps, with an added make dep && make clean after the configuration.

Do you compile as a root?  I always do everything except the installations (of the kernel, modules, System.map, and re-running lilo) as a regular user.  I thought I read somewhere that was how to do it... I dunno, though.  :-)

My Redhat-using friend had problems with RPM stuff when he rolled his own kernels.  Something totally kept him from using the ntfs module at all.  He was dual booting with Win2K on that particular box.

Rob