[PLUG] Thinkpad wakeup problem

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jul 9 17:35:47 UTC 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Richard Steffens wrote:

[snip]

> However, I still didn't have a network connection.
>
> Any other ideas before I reboot?
[snip]

Assuming that the driver is a module rather than being hard linked into
the kernel, you will probably need to:

   1 - Bring the interface down using either "ifdown eth0" or by using the
       stop command with the appropriate /etc/init.d/xxxxx script to shut
       down the network interface.

   2 - Remove the kernel module for the network card using the
       "rmmod <ethernet_card_module_name>" command.

   3 - Insert the kernel module for the network card using the
       "insmod <ethernet_card_module_name>" command.

   4 - Bring the ethernet interface back up using the "ifup eth0" or by
       using the start command with the appropriate /etc/init.d/xxxx
       script to restart the network interface.

The reason for the above is that many drivers are poorly behaved when
handling standby mode (this is true for pretty much every operating
system), and will lose track of interrupts or other data when cycled
through it.  By doing the above, the driver is removed from the system,
and by reinstalling it, it will go through full reinitialization which
should clear the problem.  Once you have verified if this will work, you
can put the above in a simple shell script that can be run manually, or
launched by the APM software on your system to make it recover
automatically.