[PLUG] need some xinerama/kde help, please

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Jul 10 18:22:38 UTC 2002

Thanks Ross for your comments.  My remarks are interspersed below.
 :: "Dean S. Messing" <deanm at sharplabs.com> writes:
 ::
 :: > I've got the two heads running just fine.
 :: > I've got the virtual desktop running under a single
 :: > KDE invocation (KDE-2.2.2) so I can slide a window
 :: > across screens.
 :: >
 :: > But there is some very annoying behaviour that I can't seem
 :: > to rid myself of:
 :: >
 :: > -- If I horizontally maximise, say, an emacs window it
 :: >    maximises across the _entire_ virtual desktop, which, in most cases,
 :: >    is the wrong thing to do.
 :: >
 :: > -- When the kde screensaver comes up, it is centered in the virtual
 :: >    desktop not in one of the physical desktops---again the wrong
 :: >    thing to do.
 ::
 :: Unfortunately this is the correct behavior for Xinerama.  It treats
 :: both heads as one big virtual desktop.

This is not, in general,  correct, though for "xinerama-unaware"
window managers, it  is.

For a "xinerama-aware" window manager (like KDE-2.2.2 is supposed to
be) the WM is aware that the large desktop is made up of two or more
physical displays, and does "the right thing" w.r.t. window
maximisation &c.

 :: You can run without Xinerama and lose the ability to drag windows
 :: between heads, X will treat the two heads as different screens.
<snip>

Not an option for me. I need the "drag" feature for visual experiments
I'm doing.
 ::
 :: BTW with an AGP and PCI matrox card it is possible to do 4 heads.
 :: I highly suggest it.
 ::
 :: -Ross

Again, not an option.  I'm running just one card: the new AGP
dual head nVIDIA Ge-Force 4 Ti.  One port is DVI-I (digital) for
driving a digital flat panel.

Dean