[PLUG] Any Professional Memberships Out There?

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jul 10 18:49:54 UTC 2002

Somewhat OT, somewhat not . . .

Yesterday, I received one of my periodic mailings from the Computer
Society (affiliated with IEEE), & while scanning thru it I found
a paragraph that was soliciting nominations for the 20 different
awards it gives every year. More about this at

http://computer.org/awards

And this got me thinking . . .  How many people in the Open Source
community have won one of these awards? I looked thru the list
& outside of awards granted to Tim Bernard-Lee & the two authors
of Mosaic (Bina & Andressen), there's been few. So I came up with
a pair of candidates I'd like help nominating for these honors:

For the Computer Society Technical Achievement award, Venema
Wietse. He has done a good chunk of work in security development,
writing programs such as SATAN, tcp-wrappers, & postfix.

For the Seymour Cray Computer Sience and Engineering Award, I'd
like to nominate Donald Becker. (Despite his feud with the rest
of the Linux community.) By creating the Beowulf cluster, he has
made supercomputing affordable to practically anyone with an
interest in this field. (Networking 50 Pentium IIIs together is
far cheaper than buying a top-of-the-line supercomputer from Cray
or SGI, & is far easier to maintain.)

Anyone a member in a professional organization who would like to
participate? (Nominations for the Cray award are due in at the
end of the month, for the Technical Achievement award, end of
September.)

Any thoughts?

Geoff