[PLUG] WebMail Package

Patrick Leckey Patrick.Leckey at xist.com
Wed Jul 10 20:41:20 UTC 2002

If you're looking for something with spell checking and handles large mail well, try "OpenMail".  It's based on NeoMail, but
has many added features.  You should be able to find the OpenMail project at openmail.org.

Pat

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:19:25AM -0700, David Mandel wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Patrick Leckey wrote:

> > I noticed somebody reccommended neomail.  I tried "openmail", which is based on neomail.  Unfortunately, it has to run
> > setuid root, and as my machine is a little 120MHz box, the setuid gets caught in the race condition and just gives me a
> > "Can't do setuid".
>
> We use neomail as part of the Netule EM-I email server.
> We selected it after testing a number of alternatives.
>
> For the most part we are quite happy with neomail.
> It is simple and easy to use and generally works well.
> We set it up be accessed via ssl which is nice.
> However,
>     (1)  We wish it had a spell checker built-in.
>     (2)  We wish it had a system to build procmail or
>          other SPAM control rules.
>     (3)  We wish it had a few more features, but for
>          our purposes nothing real important is missing.
>     (4)  It hasn't handle super huge posting well.
>          Neomail will try to put a 100+ mb posting in
>          RAM, which can lead to bad things - like frozen
>          systems.  Fortunately, this rarely happens in
>          practice and one can prevent this by banning
>          super huge postings in sendmail or postfix or
>          whereever.
> Overall, we like neomail but may consider alternatives
> in the future.
>
>                                           Sincerely,
>                                           David Mandel
>                                           Chief Activist
>                                           Portland Linux/Unix Group
>                                           1440 NE 59th
>                                           Portland, Oregon 97213
>                                           (360) 260-2066 at work
>                                           (541) 730-5285 cell

>    David Mandel, Product Manager       http://www.MicroSharp.com
>                           Other Affiliations
>    David Mandel                        http://www.DavidMandel.com
>    Portland Linux/Unix Group           http://pdxLinux.org
>    LinuxFund                           http://LinuxFund.org

Patrick Leckey	    [Patrick.Leckey at xist.com]
XIST Inc.; Information, Services & Technology
http://www.xist.com             (613)234-9621