[PLUG] Cheap Colocation For Little Used Server

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Wed Jul 10 23:03:41 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm fleeing the country next month (speaking figuratively), and, not
sure exactly when I'll be back, I'm giving up my apartment. Which means
I need a new home for my server, since I run postfix on it and a couple
of dev' Web sites that I'd like to keep online.  I'm wondering if anyone
can suggest any inexpensive colocation options.

I don't require a professional service with UPS and climate control and
multiple connections and all that; I just need a static IP and a mere
modicum of bandwidth.  It's basically just an email server for maybe a
half dozen accounts.  The Web sites are unfinished and get almost no
traffic.  It also runs CVS for just my personal use.  In fact, this box
would be happy to run headless in a closet in someone's basement,
virtually unnoticable.  It's running SuSE 7.1, and it hasn't gone down,
save for power outages, since I installed it many moons hence, so there
should be no question of onsite maintenance.

I've just looked at EasyStreet, and their service starts at $350/month,
which is just way too much for what I need.  I'm actually hoping someone
on this list won't mind housing this server in exchange for a line
upgrade, a couple more IPs, and maybe something extra just in case a
manual reboot is ever needed.

Any takers?

--Jason Van Cleve