[PLUG] Floppyfw and ftp

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Jul 11 19:23:00 UTC 2002

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Bill Spears wrote:
>
> > Having trouble witht ftp and, presumably, floppyfw. I can connect but can't
> > ls. I assume something is wrong in my settup.
>
>   Been there -- twice now.
>
>   With the firewall, the ftp client you use needs to be in passive mode, not
> active mode. In the former mode, the client determines the ports to be used
> so the firewall will allow the return packets back in.

Strictly speaking, this isn't always true.  floppyfw can handle active mode
ftp just fine.  That's assuming you haven't edited modules.lst to remove
ip_masq_ftp.o, and that you have the appropriate firewall rules.  That said,
it's not unusual to have a firewall/server on the remote end be screwed
up such that active mode won't work.

galen

bash$ ftp ftp.aracnet.com
Connected to hunter.aracnet.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.4 Server (Aracnet Internet's FTP Server) [ftp.aracnet.com]
Name (ftp.aracnet.com:galens): ftp
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
230-                 --- Aracnet FTP site -- ftp.aracnet.com ---

         Welcome, FTP user.  If you have problems with this server, please
 contact support at aracnet.com.

                    Thank you -- Aracnet FTP administrator

230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> passive
Passive mode on.
ftp> passive
Passive mode off.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         1024 Aug 30  2001 bin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 3761     ftpadmin       14 Jul 28  1999 delta-9 -> users/spyder47
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Oct  1  1996 dev
d--x--x--x   3 root     root         1024 Oct 12  1998 etc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Sep 14  1998 lib
dr-xr-sr-x  13 root     ftp          1024 Nov 27  2001 pub
drwxr-xr-x  38 root     ftpadmin     2048 Feb 21 10:45 users
-r--r--r--   1 root     ftpadmin      225 Aug 16  2000 welcome.msg
226 Transfer complete.