[PLUG] Help reading an e-mail header please

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jul 11 19:50:31 UTC 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 12:58 am, you wrote:
> I switched ISP's from SpiritOne to @home when cable modem service became
> available. I dropped the SpiritOne account about a month or two after
> getting the @home account. My old SpiritOne web site stayed up for
> several months, but finally dissappeared. Before dropping the SpiritOne
> account, I asked them to forward any e-mail to my new account. They
> never dropped that forward (whatever you call it - order?), and in fact,
> changed it last December when we switched from @home to @attbi. So, I
> still get mail forwarded from SpiritOne on occassion, which has been
> useful.
>
> Today, I got a piece of spam that appears to be from my old SpiritOne
> account. Can anyone tell me if there is anything in this header that
> will help me figure out where it really came from?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Dick,

One thing you might try is using SpamCop. www.spamcop.net. It will do the
traces and reverse lookups for you, then you can study what it did. Then you
can even use it to send abuse reports for you, if you like. I use the Web
form, rather than forwarding emails, to see an analysis of the headers right
away.

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing