[PLUG] Odd Installation Problem

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Jul 12 17:59:38 UTC 2002

Hi Dennis,

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 08:56, Dennis Newton wrote:
> I've been trying to install Linux (SUSE 8.0) on the 2nd IDE drive on one of
> our machines.  We already have it running on another machine (SCSI drives)
> and as the only system on a machine at my office (IDE drives). I've
> installed many versions of Linux and FreeBSD over the years since the days
> it was distributed on floppies.
>
> On this one machine I keep running into a weird problem no matter what
> release of Linux or FreeBSD I try to install.  The first time the system
> reboots after the base installation there's screen full of "01 01 01" and
> the machine locks up.  This happens whether I install LILO (or the BSD boot
> program) on the boot drive or if I create a boot floppy.  It doesn't matter.
> Fortunately I can do a FDISK/MBR to restore the boot sector on the hard
> disk. The weird thing is that it boots perfectly off the CDROM.
>
> I've checked all the BIOS settings and can't find anything odd.  If the 2nd
> disk is formatted for Windows, it works just fine.  The Linux or BSD
> installation goes fine until the reboot.  I've moved the 2nd disk from one
> controller to the other and from master to slave - no difference. I've even
> tried a different disk - same problem.
>
> Has anyone run into this?  Do you know of a fix?

Yes, I have, many times.  The reasons (and fixes) are varied, some were
hardware related, some were lilo.conf related.  What is your hardware
configuration?  What is the lilo.conf that you've tried (particularly
the one to create the boot floppy)?  Does lilo spit out any errors or
warnings when you run it?

Derek Loree