[PLUG] duplicating an audio CD

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Jul 12 19:06:24 UTC 2002

Derek Loree writes:
 :: On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 21:46, Dean S. Messing wrote:
 :: >
 :: > I've never "dupped" an audio CD before so I have some questions.  From
 :: > reading the (rather old) HOWTO it appears that I want to write in
 :: > so-called DAO mode rather than TAO mode.
 :: >
 :: > I've only got one CD-RW device right now so I presume I'm going to have
 :: > to "rip" the entire CD to disk then write it back to the blank.
 :: >
 :: > My question: what format do I pull the data off in?  I see from the
 :: > cdparanoia man page that there's a so-called "raw" format.  Is that
 :: > what I use?  Do I need the entire CD image in one file for DAO?
 :: >
 :: > Ok, as you can see, I know nothing.  A quick explaination of the specifics
 :: > would be greatly appreciated.
 ::
 :: For just duplicating CD's, cdrdao is probably the best one available.
 :: It only reads and writes whole CD images in binary form (the images can
 :: be mounted in a loopback device and then played) and it extracts the
 :: TOC, stores it in a separate file, and writes it back, unchanged.  The
 :: man page does a good job of explaining what it can do and how.  It also
 :: has a "raw-read" option, but that is only needed for trying to duplicate
 :: copy-protected CD's (for backup purposes only, of course).  The strange
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
Of course.

 :: thing is that this program obviously was designed for audio CD's, but it
 :: works very well on data CD's too, you just ignore the TOC that it
 :: extracts and use the binary image, which turns out to be just an ISO
 :: image.

Good to know.

 :: HTH
 ::
 :: Derek Loree

It does.

If cdrdao is that easy to use maybe I'll give it a try instead of
going the cdrecord route. I'll have to build it for my system and then
read the man pages.  I just didn't want to worry about what looked
like a nit-picky config file right now.  This is a "one time job" so
I'm looking for "breezy-easy" if possible.  But I also want to learn.
So ...

Dean