[PLUG] duplicating an audio CD

Shahms E. King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Jul 12 19:06:29 UTC 2002

> I was lost because I don't have any idea whether my drive is MMC or
> not, or whether is supports Sessat At Once mode.  (What is MMC?)  So I
> figured I would need to go with `cdrdao' which the HOWTO made to sound
> rather complex (you have confirmed this).

I don't exactly know what MMC is myself, but the odds are your drive is
MMC (I *think* almost all newer drives are, I'm pretty sure the only
drives that aren't were some early recorders).  All of the ones I have
come across in recent years have been.

> So now my next question is, can I use cdparanoia instead of cdda2wav
> to extract in exactly the same format I need above.  I think cdparanoia
> does a better job of error detection/correction;  if I can use it I'd
> prefer to.  I guess, what I need to understand is:
>
> 1) is the cdda2wav "bulk" mode above exactly equivalent to "batch" mode
>    of cdparanoia?

Yes. Except, cdparanoia doesn't write out the .inf and .cddb files.

> 2) is whatever info that -useinfo uses get provided if I use cdparanoia?

No. That command uses the .inf file associated with the track to
determine the pregap on that track.

> Dean

cdparanoia does *much* better error detection and correction, but I
rarely have problems with cdda2wav when forced to use it for something
(like a cd cdparanoia can't handle, and I've come across a few, don't
ask me why). The one serious drawback for cdrdao for me is that it
doesn't support burnPROOF :-( and for the newer, faster, and largely IDE
drives, it really is necessary to actually get a burn AND continue using
your computer (why aren't CDR makers making SCSI drives anymore?!?!?!
WHY!!!)

--Shahms