[PLUG] duplicating an audio CD

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Jul 12 19:19:19 UTC 2002

 :: > I was lost because I don't have any idea whether my drive is MMC or
 :: > not, or whether is supports Sessat At Once mode.  (What is MMC?)  So I
 :: > figured I would need to go with `cdrdao' which the HOWTO made to sound
 :: > rather complex (you have confirmed this).
 ::
 :: I don't exactly know what MMC is myself, but the odds are your drive is
 :: MMC (I *think* almost all newer drives are, I'm pretty sure the only
 :: drives that aren't were some early recorders).  All of the ones I have
 :: come across in recent years have been.

It's newer.

 :: > So now my next question is, can I use cdparanoia instead of cdda2wav
 :: > to extract in exactly the same format I need above.  I think cdparanoia
 :: > does a better job of error detection/correction;  if I can use it I'd
 :: > prefer to.  I guess, what I need to understand is:
 :: >
 :: > 1) is the cdda2wav "bulk" mode above exactly equivalent to "batch" mode
 :: >    of cdparanoia?
 ::
 :: Yes. Except, cdparanoia doesn't write out the .inf and .cddb files.

 :: > 2) is whatever info that -useinfo uses get provided if I use cdparanoia?
 ::
 :: No. That command uses the .inf file associated with the track to
 :: determine the pregap on that track.

Hmm.  So maybe I can use cdda2wav first (to get these info files), then
delete the wav files and run cddparanoia to extract them again cleanly?

 ::
 :: > Dean
 ::
 :: cdparanoia does *much* better error detection and correction, but I
 :: rarely have problems with cdda2wav when forced to use it for something
 :: (like a cd cdparanoia can't handle, and I've come across a few, don't
 :: ask me why). The one serious drawback for cdrdao for me is that it
 :: doesn't support burnPROOF :-( and for the newer, faster, and largely IDE
 :: drives, it really is necessary to actually get a burn AND continue using
 :: your computer (why aren't CDR makers making SCSI drives anymore?!?!?!

My drive is only a few months old and it's SCSI.  Sorry it and the
machine are currently running demos in our executive board room which
is filled with high-level brass from Sharp Corp. (Japan) so I don't think
it would be wise to walk in and take a look just now.

Dean