[PLUG] Next: ppp via the cell phone

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Jul 12 22:42:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> According to /var/log/messages, the following (abreviated) entries are
> recorded:
> 	send (AT ...)
> 	expect (OK)
> 	^M
> 	NO CARRIER
> 	 -- failed
> 	Failed (NO CARRIER)
> 	Connect script failed.
> 	Exit

Looks like pppd is trying to dialup ... again.  And is your cell phone /
modem really on ttyS1?  Is minicom connecting to ttyS1?  The default for
minicom is ttyS0.
   I have sympathy for you because just went through a similar experience
about two hours ago.  I was entering ttyS3 and the modem was on ttyS4.

You might consider using Linuxconf.  It is the best admin and
configuration tool I've ever used. (Since I like someone else said in
another PLUG thread have 20 years experience with Linux.  :-)  Seriously I
had to use IBM's GUI for their RS 6000 AIX machines.  That was a joy ...
not!

Rod