[PLUG] HTML Whitespace Compression

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 13 13:11:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Exactly, that's my big qualm.  I wonder if there is an apache mod that
> can strip out white space at the beginning of lines, for HTML pages.
> That would be even more effective than using tabs, and it's doubtful it
> would affect the browser output.

  Doesn't this cut to the heart of the issue with html? That is, that rather
than being solely a content markup language derived as a subset of sgml,
it's had formatting tags added to it, too. This (or so I've read) causes all
sorts of problems in terms of viewing certain pages on certain browsers.

  My understanding is that it's best to tag content but let each browser
decide on the presentation format. May be difficult to do nowadays, but is
it worth trying?