[PLUG] HTML Whitespace Compression

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Sat Jul 13 16:33:53 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com> wrote:

> every time a new client-side scripting language evolves. I just don't
> think the HTTP protocol should bear the burden of defining what is and
> isn't significant whitespace.

You make some good points, Paul.  But let's remember we're talking about
two different solutions.  One is a server plugin that actual strips the
HTML on the way out (obviously an ugly idea, as you argue, but an idea
still); and the other is lossless compression between the server and
client, and that's where HTTP would come in.

--Jason V. C.