[PLUG] Hire the Best

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Sat Jul 13 17:12:59 UTC 2002

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Preston Crawford wrote:

> Oh, and I forgot to add that part of the reason I'm pissed about this
> economy is that I'm doing my part for my family. I may live in
> Beaverton (which in and of itself is evil for some reason), but I
> when I bought my house here on the light rail, part of my plan was
> to help my brother get on their feet. Now both of them, 21 and 24,
> live with my wife and I and we rent to them for cheap and help them
> out with money to try to get them on their feet. Does that count as
> helping, since we're helping to make two more people self-sufficient, or
> does it count as hurting since we live in the evil that is Beaverton?

Beaverton is not evil in and of itself. I was merely mentioning some
people I know who complain about corporate this and corporate that, while
living what appears to be a 100% corporation supporting lifestyle. My
point was not to dis Beaverton.

> I also send money to my parents when I can, but often it's in the form
> of a gift certificate to no-longer-locally-owned Fred Meyer. That makes me
> part of the problem, I suppose.

Not true. As I mentioned it is impossible to survive without some
supporting of corporations. Also, it is worth mentioning that not all
corporations are bad. I would say the majority of them are not bad.

The problem is not with supporting corporations per se. To me the problem
is the excessive supporting of corporations at the expense of local
businesses and farms, and viable local community.

Let's face it, economies of scale make it necessary for some things to be
produced by large corporations. That to me is not an inherent evil.

--
Neil Anuskiewicz