[PLUG] New drive quandary

Mark Morgan lemming at attbi.com
Sat Jul 13 22:50:50 UTC 2002

Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:
> Well now that I have a 36.1 gigabyte 10,000 hard drive.  I have a problem.
>
> I have been running <shudder>Windows 2000</shudder> on my main mail reader,
> photo editor, bigger memory PII 266 Mhz with 384 MB RAM system, with a
> mother board that has on-board SCSI to which is connected a scanner and zip
> drive. I have also sort of retired my use-to-be firewall web server
> <cheer>Linux</cheer> system back from the firewall, since I obtained a
> D-Link 707 Firewall/switch.
>
> I have not formatted it yet and am wondering what would be the best file
> system to use.  I want to use the hard drive as a back up for my other
> systems. (Did I mention, the spouse's <shudder>Windows 98</shudder> PIII 1.2
> MHz 512MB RAM, 20 GB Hard drive system?)  One of these days I will get up
> the nerve and try to get to just Linux at home, but until then, I will be
> putting this new drive on the <shudder>Windows 2000</shudder> machine.

I don't have much opinion on which FS to use, but I have some
suggestions on the migration path.

My wife used to be a windows user and what I did was migrate her to
using Netscape for browsing and mail, and Star Office for most
everything else.  After a while, I switched the OS to Linux and
everything was fine.  Out of the several systems now, I only have a
PII-266 that has Win98SE for doing Scanning. (I had an off by one error
on model numbers when picking up my scanner.)

-Mark