[PLUG] Would you consider donating to the OSU ACM? (To hear RMS?)

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Sun Jul 14 07:50:55 UTC 2002

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Jason Dagit wrote:

> This email is less about getting people to commit and more about asking
> people how much they would be willing to donate.

Cool, an alternative sponsor for RMS! Excellent. I actually emailed him
about speaking at a PLUG meeting and he said yes as long as you change
your name to Portland GNU User's Group. Until we change our name he
insisted that there needed to be *another* sponsor and you have stepped
up. Here is what I learned from talking to RMS:

1. He requires only an airline ticket and, presumably care and feeding
when he gets here (e.g., meals).

2. He does not require a hotel room. He said he would be just as happy to
sleep on someone's couch or whatever. In fact, I think he would be happier
in a private home than in a hotel.

3. He loves email and would prefer access to an Internet connection for
his laptop so he can do email. Duh!

4. He likes Chinese food.

So, essentially, you just need the cost of the ticket plus and, I think,
whatever it would cost to feed him while he is here.

---

I also talked to Eric S. Raymond. He has more or less the same
requirements as RMS -- the cost of a plane ticket and food. His additional
requirement is that he says that if the flight is over 5 hours or
something like that, it needs to be business class. I am not sure if that
is negotiable or not.

---

As for Linus I had a go between talk to him in person and he did express
interest in coming here but that did not get any further than that. I
could talk to this go between and try to get a more firm commitment. I am
not sure the cost factors for having Linus up here. My general impression
is that he less interested in speaking than either RMS or ESR; in fact, I
got the impression that he does except such engagements from time to time
but not necessarely enthusiastically. If we could bill it as less of a
formal talk and more of light social hour type thing with beer, etc., then
perhaps he would feel more comfortable. What do you think? A barbecue? A
party? What?

--
Neil Anuskiewicz