[PLUG] Plugger/Plugins -- Help

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Sun Jul 14 22:12:48 UTC 2002

I need some guidance on using plugger, the browser plugin manager:

How do I call plugger within my browser? I have plugger installed, and my
/etc/pluggerc file is set up, but I don't know how to get my browser to
run plugger when it is needed. Has anyone used plugger before?

I tried entering a MIME type for image/tiff in my browser with
plugger-4.0 as the Helper but this doesn't seem to work... Any ideas?

Offtopic: The USPTO requires browsers with tiff plugins for viewing its
patent database:

"Their site structure makes viewing and printing of large patents
difficult, because pages of a given patent are not connected as a
document.  We have also offered to help solve that issue and make the site
easier for everyone to use.  Their continued use of this website design
may be related to the fact that they charge fees for hard copies of
patents.  There is no way for us to solve this without USPTO
participation.  If you have trouble, please email the USPTO and ask them
to make their site easier to use:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html "

Source: http://www.swiftview.com/plug2.htm