[PLUG] AOL groups from gaim

AthlonRob AthlonRobNF at cs.com
Mon Jul 15 05:25:41 UTC 2002

On 14 Jul 2002 22:13:24 -0700
"Garry L. Thompson" <garry at pdxnet.com> wrote:

> I have been using gaim for a while to chat with individuals. Is there
> anyway to chat with established AOL groups? If there is a way is there
> anyway of finding out the groups names? There are a few groups I would
> love to be able to chat with using gaim on Linux. My guess is that
> this would be blocked by AOL unless you gave them money, but I thought
> I would just check. Thanks ...

On AOL, there is such a thing as a Group... Groups at AOL (groups.aol.com)
... if you mean that (which I don't think you do) you should be able to
chat via the chat interface.  I don't know about using the links... so
you might want to IM somebody and ask them to invite you to the chat.
They work like regular AIM chats but are different... unlike regular AIM
chats (or regular AOL Private Rooms) they link together to a special
kind of AOL Private Chat, as well as having the AIM interface.

If you mean to ask if you can chat in a regular AOL Chat room (in a
community) you *do* need the client.  AOL 2.5 and 3.0 work well with
WinE, 4.0 works for some people, and 5.0+ tend to not work worth crap.
And you would need an AOL account ($15/month for TCP/IP access).  You
can run Win9x inside vmware or Win4Lin.  AOL refuses to release their
very-nearly-done Linux client (which they ship through their Gateway Net
Appliances).

Let me know if you need more information!

Rob  :-)