[PLUG] Whack-a-mole Install? (Y/N)

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Tue Jul 16 00:22:22 UTC 2002

Reply regarding Re: [PLUG] .AVI RPM player Advice from Russ Johnson:
: At 08:02 PM 7/11/2002 -0700, you wrote:
: >4. Press "OK" until all the dialog boxes go away. (Note: You do not have
: > to actually *read* any of the dialog boxes. Think of playing
: > 'Whack-a-mole,' but with your mouse pointer - the faster you hit those
: > "OKs," the sooner you get to watch your AVI's. The fewer that appear, the
: > better the program is.)

:
: Having been a technical support engineer for a large software firm, I
: cringe when I read something like this.
:
: Expect software to work like a Kleenex (pull it out of the box and it's
: ready to use)
:
: If someone clicks 'OK' as fast as they can, and then it doesn't work as
: they expect, well, I have no sympathy for them.

Note that I didn't include the Whack-a-mole install method in the 'serious'
section of the letter. What I -was- pointing out, though is that this is the
way most users think, and it's the sort of user behavior that can get
conditioned in - I actually first heard it described in a report of a power
plant accident - operators had gotten used to cancelling alarm klaxons
without checking 'what did I just turn off' - and in one particular plant
this had actually become somewhat of an autonomic reflex.

In the investigation following the accident ( a steam line rupture to a power
turbine - I hate when that happens, but you can make off with plenty of squab
if you can get to the roof quick enough - bring salt and pepper.) several
operators had been asked 'what alarm did you just cancel?' after being
observed, and they were unable to answer. At least one such operator denied,
or was unaware of cancelling the alarm.

The data record showed that one particular alarm on the turbine that failed
had been cancelled TWENTY-SIX times in a row, within less than an hour. "In
effect," the report read, "the machine said 'OK Fine, I give up trying to
warn you. You win. I die now.' "

A similar sort of double-return hit can get conditioned into user behavior if
a common task (delete, erase) is ALWAYS followed by 'Are you SURE? (Y/N)'

In any case, thanks for the 'real' suggestions, - I'll see how it goes.

GLL