[PLUG] Need Audio Record: $20

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Mon Jul 15 18:54:58 UTC 2002

First, (if you haven't already) check all of the mixer settings.  (With
whatever... gmix, kmix, or whatever you have.)  Make sure the right device
is selected for recording input, and that the levels are up.  (If you have
studio setup, the VU meter lights should show levels... but only while
attempting to record.  If you get no lights, you're probably not getting a
signal.)

Also make sure that the channels aren't muted.  (If using ALSA drivers, I
know they all are muted by default.)

The more I think about it, the more I think the mixer settings are what need
checking, especially considering studio isn't getting anything.

But, in case you've already done all of that (and it isn't the problem),
here's a couple links to gramofile.  (I use it for initial recording anyway,
even if studio is working.)

Homepage
http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/
Freshmeat listing
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gramofile/?topic_id=115
RPM's someone built.  (On SuSE, but doesnt' think there would be any
compatability issues.)
http://nebuchadnezzar.zion.cz/gramofile.php

And there is always plain old sox.  At least to eliminate the possibility of
program problems, till you are sure the card/input channel/mixer settings
are good.

Jeremy