[PLUG] Would you consider donating to the OSU ACM? (To hear R MS?)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 16 06:09:44 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Neil" == Neil Anuskiewicz <neil at pacifier.com> writes:

Neil> I am thinking that the best way to make Linus want to come up
Neil> here is to make the event(s) seem very low pressure. I
Neil> understand that he does not like public speaking -- thus, having
Neil> him as a "guest speaker" is probably not the best idea. It would
Neil> be more like he hangs around Portland for a couple days and
Neil> attends a barbecue/party or whatever.

The thing I am having trouble with here is:  Why?

What is the point of having Linus come to Portland?  What do you
expect to accomplish?

I am not saying that there _isn't_ a worthwhile reason, but if you
have trouble articulating one that holds water, that should tell you
something.

Getting him to autograph a book, just "hang around" or whatever sounds
pretty lame to me.  In my experience, people with young children have
better things to do with their time.  So if you've got something more
weighty, please let me know what it is, because it isn't obvious.

With Stallman, I see the point: letting him articulate his (I think
"important") ideas about freedom to young impressionable minds.  With
Linus, whose philosophy is basically to "have fun programming" and who
doesn't really want/like to articulate (i.e. speak publicly) about it,
I _don't_ see the point.  Maybe someone can show me the point.  If it
exists, someone _please_ do.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible