[PLUG] To the VI Question

Michael Rasmussen rasmussenm at columbiafunds.com
Tue Jul 16 16:42:43 UTC 2002

> From: Matt Alexander [mailto:m at netpro.to]
> OK, here's the contents of a text file after the od -c is run on it:
>    [snip]
> So there are clearly newline characters.  But...  the
> :%s/\n/,/ doesn't
> work.  SoooooOOOOooOOoOOoooo...  Any guesses why?  This is a default
> RedHat 7.3 install.

I went to my RH7.3 box and tried the edit with vim, and an explicit call to
/bin/vi (to ensure that I wasn't invoking vim through an alias) and the
substitution works fine.
As an additional sanity check, I ran the file through unix2dos to see if
having \r\n as line ending would make a difference, which it didn't.

Do you have a ~/.vimrc file?  What are the contents?

--
  Michael Rasmussen - Network Engineer, Columbia Management
  voice:  971-925-6723  cell:  503-807-1447  rasmussenm at columbiafunds.com
  <mailto:rasmussenm at columbiafunds.com> http://www.columbiafunds.com

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential or other privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information.  Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.  Any communication that does not relate to official Columbia business is that of the sender and is neither given nor endorsed by Columbia.  Thank you.