[PLUG] Firewall Suggestions

Eli Stair eli.stair.lists at attbi.com
Tue Jul 16 16:45:13 UTC 2002

I've used two linux-based firewall "distributions" in the past. Neither was perfect, but each had its good points.

Mandrake SNF (Single Network Firewall)
Based on the older 7.2 release, it had a decent web-management interface.  Ability to backup firewall
rules, make changes to the running system and perform online package and system updates via the web.
Downsides were that documentation on the system is poor.  Among other things, the interfaces are hard-coded
but nothing mentions this.  eth1 MUST be your internet conn., and eth0 is the local private if. It will
mysteriously not work if it's not configured this way.

Smoothwall 0.9.9 (uh oh)
This system works pretty nicely.  The web interface is much more capable than the Mandrake one.  It has
a squid caching proxy, Free S/WAN, snort, good logging (although no built-in alerting/emailing). You can
also add rules to the fw through the web if, never used it though. Oh, it also has the ability to access
the OpenSSH server from the management page, and even gives color shell access, just like you're there! ;)
Unfortunately, the dns proxy has been dying on it lately and it's been hanging at the console (probably
a hardware issue).  This was the "trial" GNU version.  Smoothwall has a commercial product which is
possibly more full featured and stable.

Hope that is useful,
Cheers,

/eli