[PLUG] Firewall Suggestions

J Henshaw jeff at jhenshaw.com
Tue Jul 16 09:56:25 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Stair" <eli.stair.lists at attbi.com>
To: <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Firewall Suggestions

> I've used two linux-based firewall "distributions" in the past. Neither
was perfect, but each had its good points.

> Mandrake SNF (Single Network Firewall)
> Based on the older 7.2 release, it had a decent web-management interface.
Ability to backup firewall
> rules, make changes to the running system and perform online package and
system updates via the web.
> Downsides were that documentation on the system is poor.  Among other
things, the interfaces are hard-coded
> but nothing mentions this.  eth1 MUST be your internet conn., and eth0 is
the local private if. It will
> mysteriously not work if it's not configured this way.

Yes,  mdk SNF is nice,  I've played with it.   I believe you can auto-update
from the web interface too.
eth1 MUST be WAN, that irritated me a little.
but Snort logs were useful.
www.zelow.no/floppyfw is popular with PLUG folks I know,  I use it too.
One floppy disk, write-protected,  and you're on.
jH