[PLUG] Re: about sending mail.......

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Tue Jul 16 18:22:00 UTC 2002

Billy,

Let's keep this on the PLUG list so that others (more knowledgeable than I)
can add their two cents. I've set the Reply-To: header on this email to the
list (plug at lists.pdxlinux.org).

Sending and receiving mail is generally done by using a program designed for
that purpose rather than directly invoking the system utilities (like
sendmail) used as a foundation for a friendly user interface.

Your choices of MUAs (mail user agents) is going to be a function of who
administers the server. If it's you, then you can install whichever program
you like. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the sysadmin. It's probable that
you have pine and elm. Good resources for learning about their use (a topic
far too extensive to tackle in this email) can be found at these web sites:

   Linkname: Pine Information Center

   Linkname: ii.com: All About PINE: IMAP, NNTP, & ESMPT for Unix, MS Windows,
             and Mac OS X by Nancy McGough

   Linkname: ELM - Electronic Mail for UNIX

You can also type in `man pine' and `man elm' at the UNIX shell prompt to
read the online manual pages.

You'll need to learn to use a UNIX editor in order to compose mail. Most
beginners start with pico, joe or vi. You can find information on these by
using the `man' command (e.g., `man pico', etc.), and also at the following
web sites:

   Linkname: Pico Tutorial

   Linkname: Using the Unix Text Editor Pico

   Linkname: The Joe Editor

   Linkname: Introduction to the Joe Text Editor

   Linkname: An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi

   Linkname: VI LOVERS HOME PAGE

   Linkname: Vim FAQ#1

   Linkname: Vim FAQ#2

Try them out and pick the one(s) you like. As you explore them, feel free to
post more questions to the list.

--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org
Peck of Pickled Pisces               __  o               http://herring.org/