[PLUG] Fwd: Weird system time issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 16 19:45:49 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Ken Nowack wrote:

> > I can reset the system time, but give it about an hour and it resets
> > itself for no apparent reason, about 12 hours off. I've tried using
> > rdate -s every 15 minutes, doesn't help. I've tried setting up ntpd and
> > using it, but once the system time gets too far off, ntpd dies with no
> > explanation.

Ken,

  Linux has two clocks. 'rdate' sets the system clock and it's valid only as
long as you're logged in. 'hwclock' sets the hardware clock, and this is the
one you want to set correctly. Once you do, you can tell the sysclock to
sync against the hardware clock. I don't recall off-hand just where it goes,
but it's one of the startup scripts.