[PLUG] Firewall Suggestions

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Jul 16 20:58:41 UTC 2002

On 16 Jul 2002, Cooper Stevenson wrote:

> All;
>
> I have been given the task of recommending and implementing a firewall
> for a local business. What are your experiences/suggestions?

You've got lots of software solutions based on Linux suggested.  So I'll
offer a hardware solution.
   I am pretty happy with my Asante FriendlyNet firewall.  There is a
bunch of features I haven't been able to try yet (connected to a modem for
a dialup connection right now) but when my iDSL connection gets here I'll
be playing with it for sure.  The Asante is pretty easy to set up because
of it's web-based interface but the down side is it is very image
intensive so using links or lynx doesn't work very well if at all.  I plan
to make a suggestion to Asante about this.

Rod